GENESIS

Chargers lose last game of season, 66-49.

The Elkhart Memorial Chargers traveled to East Noble Friday night where they lost a tough battle against the Knights. Chargers now look ahead to sectionals.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophomore D'Arjon Lewis led the Chargers in scoring Friday night, totaling 14 points. Memorial was defeated by the East Noble Knights, 66-49.

Photo Submitted y Matthew Hartman

Photo Submitted y Matthew Hartman

Photo Submitted y Matthew Hartman

Brian Ketchum, Arts and Entertainment Editor

The Charger’s regular season finale wasn’t exactly one to remember. Memorial lost a tough one to the East Noble Knights, 66-49.

The Chargers came out strong, posting a 15 point first quarter and leading the Knights by three.

Sophomore D’Arjon Lewis had the hot hand for Memorial, starting the game 4/4 from three.

The good basketball continued into the second quarter as well. Chargers headed into halftime leading the Knights 32-30.

“We really rebounded well and shot well in the first half,” said head coach Kyle Sears, “We attacked the basket and kicked out to our shooters.”

After that is when it all fell apart.

East Noble held the Chargers to only two points in the third quarter. Two points.

Not to mention this is when The University of Akron commit, senior Ali Ali really turned the pressure up. Ali came out of halftime attacking the rim and lighting a spark under the East Noble squad.

“I probably should have taken a couple of timeouts while they made the run,” said Sears. “We had some shots rim out, which were falling in the first half.”

The strong third quarter would give the Knights a 14 point lead. A lead that Memorial would attempt to come back from, but ultimately fail.

The fourth quarter was more of an even battle between the two teams, but East Noble still outscored the Chargers 18-15, giving them a 17 point win.

The Knights were led by Ali who finished with 18 points and eight assists, and senior Brent Cox who had 17 points and pulled down 18 rebounds.

They were focused and ready to get going in the tournament with a tough game against Warsaw.”

— Kyle Sears

For Memorial, junior Brackton Miller had nine points, while senior Hank Smith added eight. Lewis was the team’s leading scoring, pouring in 14.

Despite the loss, the Chargers posted the best regular season record since the 2011-12 went 19-1.

The Chargers look forward to their sectional opener this Tuesday, Feb. 26. Memorial will take on the Warsaw Tigers in Northside Gym.

About the Writer
Brian Ketchum, Entertainment Editor

Heyyo, my name is Brian Ketchum.  I am probably the funniest person you know and also the most beautiful, not to be conceited.  I am the Entertainment...