GENESIS

More than a fundraiser

Christmas bazaar provides life lessons and memories

Junior+Elsie+Logan+paints+drink+coasters+on+Wednesday%2C+Nov.+28+to+sell+at+the+annual+Christmas+Bazaar.+The+event+provides+life+lessons+and+memories+for+all+students+involved.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

More than a fundraiser

Junior Elsie Logan paints drink coasters on Wednesday, Nov. 28 to sell at the annual Christmas Bazaar. The event provides life lessons and memories for all students involved.

Abigail Gratzol/GENESIS

Abigail Gratzol/GENESIS

Abigail Gratzol/GENESIS

Abigail Gratzol, Staff Writer

Abigail Gratzol/GENESIS
A table at the Christmas Bazaar awaits customers on Friday, Dec. 7. The annual event provides life lessons and memories for all students involved.

Every December for 15 years, the special education department at EMHS holds a Christmas Craft Bazaar, in which its students make and sell goods to raise money for their department.

It takes place for two days in the Idea Box in the library. Students sell crafts and treats personally made in the preceding months. Donald Knowlton and Tami Zonker are primarily in charge of the event.

There’s no goal for how much money they raise; instead, the goal is to provide a learning experience and a fun memory for the students.

“The money is nice, but it’s more so the value of what the kids get out of it,” Knowlton said.

Participating in the event helps students with managing money, salesmanship, inventory, and motor skills while the funds raised go to enriching activities for the students, as well as helping them with personal needs.

Many students’ families can’t afford extra expenses. The money the department receives every year allows them to assist these families, giving students chances they wouldn’t have otherwise.

Abigail Gratzol
Sophomore Collin Moore works a shift at the Christmas Bazaar selling treats to students and teachers on Friday, Dec. 7. The annual event provides life lessons and memories for all students involved.

“All proceeds of our sale— 100% of it— goes to servicing the students,” Zonker said.

Knowing this, many people who don’t even buy anything still contribute to the cause.

“We have several teachers that give us donations— that just round off their figures and give us donations,” Zonker said.

“We really appreciate the support that the school gives us,” Zonker said.

Knowlton, who works primarily with students who have cognitive disabilities, describes the event as a “holiday craft show.”

Abigail Gratzol
Senior Hailey Mullet shops at the Christmas Bazaar on Friday, Dec. 7. The annual event provides life lessons and memories for all students involved.

“It’s fun. Kids make the crafts. Teachers help them as much as possible,” Knowlton said.

Due to students’ unique abilities, coming up with an activity for everyone can be difficult. The teachers and students work together to figure out crafts that everyone can help with.

“They learn how to go from an idea to a product and they take great pride in that, knowing that they had a say in that,” Zonker said.

About the Contributor
Abigail Gratzol, Staff Writer

Hi, my name is Abigail Gratzol.  My aliases include: Abby, Abnormal, Abbernoodle, and Abberdoodle if you’re my Nana.  People seem to like saying my...